Sunday 14 June 2015

Happiness and Thankfulness: Life's Greatest Choices.

I've heard people say that happiness is a choice. I have also been told to be thankful in every situation, but these things have never made sense to me. How can happiness be a choice when things almost never go the way we want? How can one be happy in the face of so many disappointments and sadness life throws our way? How can we be thankful when there's at least one sad event on a daily basis? Impossible to remain happy and thankful right?
I wasn't always this pessimistic, but life got in the way. I remember those happy and innocent days, when my parents did all the worrying and bothering. When I grew older and life started happening, I read a story about a man whose pregnant wife was murdered. Even though he was heartbroken, he remained thankful. When asked why, he said , "it could have been worse". People did not understand that answer and asked for a clarification, and he said he was thankful because he was still alive and God must have a purpose for that. I adopted that positive mentality and decided to find something positive in every situation. Years after that, I read about Horatio Spafford, the composer of the 'It is well with my soul' hymn (read about him). One can say life wasn't fair to him, but he never lost his faith. Horatio Stafford's story strengthened my decision to find a reason to be happy no matter what, but it's easier said than done (trust me on that).

As I got older, life got tougher and I completely forgot about my decision to find a reason to be happy no matter what.I started worrying a lot, I started doubting that God truly existed and I started sinking into depression. Nothing made sense to me again, life was boring and was not worth it after all. All these negativity did not help my case, I became extremely sad and found myself in a very dark place, but my problems did not end, they became worse because I was worrying more and not doing anything to solve them. Everything around me started suffering, I knew something had to change, that was my wake up call and I'm sure you know what I did. I decided to find a reason to say thank you Lord every single day, no matter what happens that day. I did not know if it would be possible, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

I knew I was getting it right when I received some sad news which made me cry, but I still found a good side and said thank you Lord. My first obvious test was when I received the news about one of my best friend's dad's demise. I have known her all my life and we have become extremely close, in fact, she is family. When I called to commiserate with her, I could not speak because I was in tears. She lamented and complained and wailed and that made me cry the more, but at some point I held myself together and reminded her that her dad spent 75 healthy and wonderful years on earth. If that isn't worth being thankful for, I do not know what else is. Another test was when one of my bff's called to tell me she miscarried and I blurted out, Oh, thank God". I was more of happy than sad because she's been married for 6years+ but has never been pregnant. Every medical test said they were fine, we prayed everyday for a miracle to that effect, but nothing happened. So I was thankful that they are fine after all and I told her to cheer up because her seed even though didn't grow to term, had gone back to her maker and her seed was in heaven (isn't that good news?). There are so many other instances, but I cannot write about them all. I still cry, I still get upset when things go wrong, but I always find at least one reason to be thankful. I started paying more attention to everything around me. I started loving my children differently and even though they are a handful, I thank the Lord for giving them to me because, it is a privilege to be a mother, not a right.

I thank God for everything now; my parents, husband, children, in-laws, family, friends, my readers, as well as every challenge life throws my way. I hope I stick to the decision, it will not be easy but it is worth the outcome. I know this because, after I made the decision to be thankful for everything, I have become happier, things now seem easier and possible, life has become brighter and I no longer sweat the small stuff. That is when I realised that, happiness is indeed a choice we make. Make that decision today and thank me later.

 One Love, Lae'.

3 comments:

  1. Your story is very uplifting. Thanks for sharing and giving us a sincere reason to feel grateful to God for the several 'positives' which we overlook. I like this line, "...worrying more and not doing anything to solve them." Well, I believe it's normal human nature to fret over random issues that cause us discomfort and having a positive, happier outlook will certainly get us on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is very uplifting. Thanks for sharing and giving us a sincere reason to feel grateful to God for the several 'positives' which we overlook. I like this line, "...worrying more and not doing anything to solve them." Well, I believe it's normal human nature to fret over random issues that cause us discomfort and having a positive, happier outlook will certainly get us on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happiness is a choice. i choose to be happy. I think we all deserve it and should embrace it. we should all be thankful too for the everyday mercies of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete