Wednesday 12 March 2014

In The Spirit Of Lent, Give


I am Catholic and excited about Lent because of the many things it represents. It is the preparation before Easter; a period to fast and pray and generally prepare yourself for Christ's death and resurrection. It is a time to reflect and focus on Christ and to give to the needy. We all know how Jesus always gave, never asking for anything in return, for himself.  So, there is this on-line site run by Fr. Robert Barron that I am subscribed to and it sends me mails periodically. Today I got a mail from him.
The title said: Give to everyone who asks... and in my mind, I added...And to those who do not. Because they need it the most. Saint Thomas of Aquinas taught that we have the right to private ownership and not the right to private use. He said the use of private property must be for the sake of the common good.

I felt that today's mail was talking to me so I mentally surveyed the vastness or puniness of my material possessions. I may not have a lot but I may have something that someone needs. We all do. At work this morning, I gave out a bottle of perfume to someone. She didn't see it coming. I just dropped it in her bag and left before she collected her wits. In the afternoon, I treated someone to a meal and we ate from the same plate. It had been ages since I shared a plate of food with someone and for fun, we fought over the meat. Typically me. I cannot begin to describe how good it felt to be able to do something nice for someone and expect absolutely nothing in return. It doesn't always have to be money. You could see someone with a baby struggling to carry a heavy bag or something and you offer to help. You could hear someone was ill and you might not be able to afford anything more than prepare a nice get-well-soon-meal. As simple as that is, it is commendable. You don't need to bring down the Heavens. But hey, if you want to, feel free. 

Fr. Barron suggested that whenever you buy something like a car or a televison or even a meal at a restaurant, choose the option you like best and can afford and then buy the next cheapest alternative. Take the difference and give it to someone in need. For example, you want to buy shoes for 10k but finally bought one for 9k, take the 1k difference and give it to someone who with 1k, a difference would be made in his life. I am doing an 'important-ish' purchase this week (nothing frivolous like shoes or clothes, trust me. I've managed to control my shopaholic streak) and I'm going to do as the good man has said, explained above.

Today again, I came across a picture of a man who after getting his first pay check, went to the streets, picked up a dozen of hungry street urchins and took them to a restaurant where he proceeded to sit with them and have lunch. I would want to be able to do that, or volunteer in a hospital or be a missionary. Or start a soup kitchen. This is something that has been on my mind for a long time. I can get friends and relatives to help me and even ask the general public to assist. The kitchen would not have to run everyday. could be every Friday. When I was a girl, my mother would cook 40 cups of rice (tasty jollof rice and fried meat) every Friday and invite every 'almajiri' child that lived/wandered around our house. My siblings and myself ate from the same pot of rice. It would be our lunch too. Whenever my mother drove out, the children ran after her, waving and cheering. Their mothers, for the few that had mothers, would come to our house to show gratitude and bring gifts of their own. It could be a locally made broom or even an offer to do some chores. Now, the more I think about it, the more I want to start a soup kitchen. Maybe another way to remember how years ago, my mom did hers every Friday, without fail.

"When we share gifts or charity with those in need, we are acknowledging the fact that we are not in this alone."
-Father Robert Barron.

As Easter approaches, whether we are Catholics or Pentecostal, whether we are Christians or Muslims, have a million naira in our bank accounts or just 500 naira in our wallets/purses, let us all endeavour to give. Give our time, our selves, our services, our money, whatever you can afford, to someone who needs it. God bless us all while we do this.

XO,
'Rene.


No comments:

Post a Comment