Thursday 20 March 2014

The Problem with Nigeria: My Opinion



It's been a while since I did a post, I sincerely apologize. I've been so busy with school work that I barely have time for myself. I've also been battling 'writer's block', I hope it clears up soon. I'm not an expert on this issue, but like I said, it's my opinion and I'll say it the way I truly feel.
Nigeria is blessed with human, mineral and natural resources (I grew up hearing that) and that claim still stands, but the society is rife with problems. So many people would like to hide under Chinua Achebe's quote that, "the trouble with Nigeria is simply and squarely a failure of leadership".
Well for me it is that and more; we (the citizens) are the trouble with Nigeria. Some of our leaders haven't always been in the ruling class, they got the opportunity to get there and what have they changed? Nothing!

In my opinion, our problems are caused by these vices- 'selfishness, greed and been self-centered'. Check the Nigerian society and you will find it in every sector, (Nigerians in diaspora are guilty of that as well, but that shouldn't be a surprise; the Nigerian blood runs in all of us). We do not love ourselves despite how religious we all are. With the way we go to churches and mosques, Nigeria ought to be paradise on earth but, the reverse is the case because of the three (3) vices I mentioned above. I always ask myself if we are wired differently because we still 'show ourselves' wherever we may be or find ourselves. I remember going to the Nigeria High Commission (NHC) in London a couple of weeks ago. I knew it was not going to be a fun trip because; not only did I live 3 hours away from London, I also had to go there with a buggy for Bambino (my son). I used lifts to get us (Bambino and I) to the required platform at the train station and I got help from a fellow passenger to get the buggy onto the train. This happened twice again when I switched trains (I got help from people) until I got to London and found my way to the Nigeria High Commission (NHC). 

I could not believe the attitude of the Security man at the door of the NHC. He was shutting the door in my face (mind you I was struggling with the buggy). Even when I asked him in my nicest voice to help me out, he didn't even look my way, not to talk of giving me a hand. It took the help of another lady there to help me out. Most, if not all offices here in the UK have a disabled access (for disabled people, people with buggies etc and they can be lifts, concrete paths and so on) and the NHC isn't left out in that plan, but like everything Nigerian, the lift there could only be used by their Staff (yea, you heard me right! Their staff only). So children, the aged, those with buggies had to struggle to climb the stairs. Talk about the staff attitude, it didn't feel like I was in the UK where I'm used to 'fake' smiles (which puts one at ease by the way), courteousness and professionalism in offices. It just felt like I was in a Nigerian office, where the staff make faces and talk rudely to you as if they are doing you a favour. I can go on and on about the service there but it's no use because it changes nothing. If you look at how bad things have become in Nigeria you will agree with me that we are 'killing' ourselves.

I'm not even excited about elections anymore because the new person becomes like the others before him/her. Less than 10% of the Nigerian population share the dream of a better society (I say this because I hear people say they are waiting for their turn to eat the national cake). We are the same complacent, lackadaisical, selfish set of people. Our lives centre on Me! Me!! Me!!! If it benefits us, then no one else matters. We need to salvage our nation from sinking, it gets worse and it tears me up. A lot of blood is shed, the health and education sectors are in sorry states, the rich get richer and the poor sink into worse conditions. All these things make me wonder if we are wired differently. The Western countries have their flaws and faults no doubt but, their laws do not suffer fools gladly. Our Judicial system benefits only the rich, so there is no hope for the common man. 

I'm exhausted thinking about our (Nigeria's) problems, I keep hoping it gets better but hope is no longer enough. We need to act and we need to do that soon. I do not have a clue on how that will be done but I know some people do but they won't speak up because they won't get the desired encouragement and support from fellow citizens. We are simply suffering and smiling and the rot continues... Well, let us be the change we want, and take it one day at a time.

One Love,
Lae'.



3 comments:

  1. Nigerians are too self centered and they barely do something nice for someone without an ulterior motives. Our country is not going to change for good unless we all change our mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, #ulterior motive

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nigerians are selfish, nobody wants to work to selfishness. Almost everybody wants to hv it all forgetting dat it's not de best. It's beats my imagination that some pple will want only them & them alone to be happy.
    It's like the more we pray for Nigeria in distress the worse it becomes. Our prayer against bribery & corruption in Nigeria is not helping @ all the corruption is increasing day after day. All we need do is to pray 4 ourselves & those we love then move on wiv what life has to offer.
    I for one knows that nobody can not dim my light. Let's keep to our dreams and make good outta de lives we have. One love

    ReplyDelete