Monday 10 February 2014

20 Things I wish I Could Do Better

There are days I literally think I am Superwoman. Sometimes I have to check I am not wearing a pink vest underneath my blouse. In my mind, Superwoman would wear a cute pink costume with a white cape. I always say there is nothing I cannot do if I put my mind to it. But sometimes, a girl just gotta know her limits. There are things I cannot do very well or still working on getting the hang of it. This a list of humorous things and not-so-humorous-things i honestly wish I could be better at doing.

1. Roll my tongue. It totally irks me to find out that there is no body part of mine I can manipulate. I have a friend (won't mention her name) who can flare her nostrils. Each time she does it, I break a rib laughing. Normally, she is so prim and proper lady so this is out of character for her. I can wink, though. Does that qualify?

2. Wear stiletto heels. I have to practice weeks in advance before I go anywhere in heels, unless they are platforms or wedges. I have never actually fallen flat on my face but something tells me someday. God forbid. I bought a lovely pair of shoes recently and cannot stop loving it but I haven't worn it any where yet because the heels are as thin as toothpicks.

3. Pick out clothes without turning my bedroom into a war zone. The days I leave my house five minutes after I have showered sans make-up, is a good day. someone should invent a wardrobe that dispenses clothes once you have chosen them in your mind. 

4. Watch a tear-jerking movie without crying. I am a Thespian for heaven's sake. I know it is all an act. Yet I cannot stop bawling my eyes out. I watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and just could not stop crying. I cannot watch Titanic ever again. Would simply embarrass myself.

5. Overcome my fear of flying. If you come across a lady clutching her bible in her hands, eyes wide open or shut in fear, in a plane, on a flight...that person is me.

6. Stop relying on my calculator for simple arithmetic but rely on my brain instead. But seriously, 28 multiplied by 3 can prove rather tasking on a stressful day I admit.

7. Play a musical instrument. My friend Ursula played the flute very well in school. I'm afraid I'm not musically inclined unless singing in the shower would count. And I do that very well. Wouldn't it be fun if I could amaze people with piano or violin skills?

8. Speak Italian or French fluently. I read and speak a bit of French, thank you very much. All credited to my amazing secondary school principal, Mrs Josephine Mohammed. Mrs Moh for short. But I really wish I was fluent in at least 2 foreign languages. I probably should attend Alliance Francais.

9. Small talk. I am horrible at small talk.

10. Do the split. When I was 6 or 7, I could do the split. I was that flexible. I would be a kiddie's party and if I wanted the spotlight on me, all I needed to do was slowly and calmly do the greatest split anyone had ever seen and not even a smile on my face at the sound of the thunderous applause that followed. Like a boss. I thought I would be a ballerina or a gymnast. Now I realise I have always been fascinated by sporting activities. 

11. Learn not to get so worked up over stuff. When I was 13 or so, my teacher told  me I was too passionate. That was the era of Mills & Boon with its characters heaving with passion. I was in my early teens when I realised the kind of passion he meant. Gotta let go of pointless drama and relationships

12. Lose weight. Physical fitness is a priority.

13. Learn to sit back and enjoy the ride. I don't always have to be in charge. I don't always have to have the reins. It is OK to be idle. It is OK to laze about on Sundays. It is OK to break one or two rules because life should not be a chore. I will do the things I love to do and not feel bad because it is not 'cool' or something. I will appreciate the moment.

14. Stop being so fearful.

15. Read more of Rumi, Maya Angelou, and Oprah.

16. Watch less TV, write the book I've been meaning to write.

17. Realise how beautiful and fantastic I am. And when people tell me, actually believe them. And not roll my eyes. Lol.

18. Say out loud how much I love someone.

19.Learn to do the reverse kick like Jean Claude Van-Damme. I was such a tomboy when I was a kid. I remember trying out Jackie Chan moves in my back yard, watching Commando 23241 times a week and pretending to be Dolph Lundgren.

20. Eat with chopsticks. I'm getting better but still have a long way to go. It is easier to use chopsticks on sticky Jasmine rice, unlike regular plain white rice.


I actually have a zillion things I wish I could do better. But wont bore you with them. There are actually some amazing stuff I am pretty good at. But if I tell you, will have to kill ya. Lol.

XO
'Rene.





2 comments:

  1. Wow! That was 9ice buh would hv loved to hear more of those things you wish yu could hv done better.
    Watching movies,reading romantic novels & inspirationals books and lots more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. loved this. i should write something like this too.lol

    ReplyDelete