Saturday 1 February 2014

Mark 4:35-41: Lessons Learned



This is not a religious blog but like I always say; I am a Christian, so a lot of my beliefs will be reflective in my posts. Back to the reason for the post. One of the best television networks I'm grateful for having ever stumbled upon is, the Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN) Global Catholic Television. All their programmes are inspiring, educating and what one needs in this world. I try to tune in mostly for the daily mass which is aired thrice daily. 

There are days when I feel the sermon is directed at me, today was one of such days. The gospel was taken from Mark 4: 35-41. This Bible passage isn't strange to so many Christians, but the verse that struck me was '39'- "they woke him and said to him, 'Master, do you not care? We are lost!'. And he woke up and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, 'Quiet now! Be calm!' And the wind dropped, and there followed a great calm". And he went on to ask why they were afraid and questioned their faith. I've replayed the scenario in my head, trying to imagine the look on their faces when he did that. I would also have wondered who this man was, (assuming I was there anyway) a man that had control over raging storms and winds.

The priest kept the sermon short and simple, but I learned these few things:


  • That there are supposedly 366 places in the Bible, where we are told not to fear (I've heard that before). In other words, one for each day of the year, including a leap year (God is so mindful of us).
  • That fear is normal, but we should never let it stop us from trying to achieve our life's goals, because Christ took away all our fears by choosing to die on the cross for us (he is awesome).
  • That there is nothing like freedom from storms (of life). We all have our seas (issues), they are sometimes calm, but other times raging. We should fear not and pray to be calm in the midst of troubles and tumultuous storm (life problems) because they will pass (obviously).
I'm glad I tuned in today and I hope this ministers to someone today.  Psalm 30:5 says, "weeping may last for the night, but joy comes in the morning". God bless us all.

One Love,
Lae'.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reassuring Post. Most times I have so many fears coursing through my mind and occasionally, I give in to despair. I felt 'warm' as I read this piece knowing that the Bible gives those words of hope and strength..."Do not fear" for as many as 366 times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really a reassuring post. Thanks Jenny for making this very part of the blog site known to me. I love the write ups, kip it up Lae Rene........
    I pray the little faith will increase and grow from pole to pole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This very post is referring to me. I sometimes doubt my faith, thank God I hv courageous family & friends.
    With faith we can move mountains, we can over come temptations & trials. We can speak life into any being. May the faith & believe of our Lord Jesus abide with us both now and forever. Amen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this. I'm so sure this sermon was directed at me. I can't count the times I've asked God same question in the midst of my confusion. God help my unbelief...

    ReplyDelete