Saturday 8 February 2014

Reflections


Pardon me but I seem to do a lot of thinking. Reflection is a daily thing for me, try it and you will be amazed. Today's post consists of two unconnected issues but they really got me thinking. Two days ago, I came across a post on Linda Ikeji's blog about a church in Enugu that asked its unmarried ladies to wear wedding dresses to church if they wanted to get married this year. The next Sunday young ladies stormed the church in their wedding dresses, they were given special seats and asked to sow seeds (every Nigerian knows what seed sowing entails). There were pictures to prove it was true, but I still had my doubts.

I checked the date to be sure it wasn't April 1st, it definitely wasn't. It was the most ridiculous thing I've come across in recent times. This is no joke and I'm not making fun of anyone but, the society has pushed ladies to a point that they believe marriage means the world to them. Being unmarried means being incomplete and many ladies will do anything just to be a Mrs. What of the Pastor who subjected them to such ridicule (because that is what it is to me)? He took advantage of their desperation and even made money from it. I wish I could talk to the ladies; if you can go to that extent to get hitched, why not pray fervently in the confines of your room. I know God is still in the business of answering prayers. Ladies also need to love themselves, get busy and useful and get over the 'I must get married' syndrome. Let things happen naturally and at their own time, that way we can handle whatever it comes with, rather than rushing in and rushing out (it's very common these days). Why are the women always at the receiving end of such stories? Does it mean the men are not looking for wives?

I really pray they get what they want, the process not withstanding, Amen. This morning also I got a very sad news that three lecturers of Theatre and Performing Arts Department, Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria lost their lives in a fatal road accident yesterday. I wished it away hoping it was some sort of expensive joke, but no it was true. When I asked further, it was confirmed that they were seven in the bus, and while 3 died on d spot, one was still in coma and the others at the hospital receiving treatment.

Death is truly an inevitable aftermath. Their accident saddened me so much because I know two of the lecturers, one of the dead and the one in coma. And they were all from the same department. This is a huge loss to their University, their department, their different families and all who knew them. While we pray for the repose of the dead, we also pray for the speedy recovery of the injured. It is also a time for reflection because we all must die. We do not know when, where or how, we only hope to be ready and at peace with God and man when that happens.

A friend told me that it is only at death that people say, "with total submission to the will of God". What of all the days of our lives he asked? When we die, the most people can do for us is, to write or say "Rest in Peace". The question is, will you truly be resting in peace? This is the chance to prepare ourselves for eternal peace, because after everything, that is the only thing that will matter.

May the souls of the departed truly rest in peace.

One Love,
Lae'.

3 comments:

  1. I really admire the way U lumped
    the two events U wished to discuss in one Post and gave it an apt title.
    Yeah...I also read the story about
    the 'Searching Brides' in Enugu and I was shocked at the pics because most of them looked like working-class ladies who certainly ought to be 'refined' but alas the twin evil of
    dubious pastors and the queer
    religion which they peddle has
    gotten them blinded. Most Nigerian ladies see the title of 'Mrs' as the peak of their lives journey which is so wrong. It's best advised that they love themselves completely and the right man will come along rather than being pawns in the hands of our greedy pastors who are only after lining their pockets.

    May the souls of the departed
    lecturers RIP and may God give the family the fortitude to bear the loss. *TJ*

    ReplyDelete
  2. What could the ladies be thinking of? Other ladies that hv been marrying was that de way they met their spouse? Was that the same way the pastor met his wife?(That is if he's married) well, I'm asking too many question as if I hv some1 to answer it. I'm really surprise @ the rate churches do their thing this days.
    How do we see God? What do we take him for? Like he doesn't hear prayers or what? There I go again asking more questions. It's really amazing. May God help us all and foegive our deceitful ways. Amen.

    May the souls of the departed lecturers rest in peace and may they reign with God forever. AMEN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pastor should be dealt with for deceiving people. What thinking was his? What is this world turning into?
    Well, may God give us his grace to conquer all.
    May the souls of those lecturers RIP, I pray they will be at right hand of GOD.May God give their families the fortitude to bear the loss. Amen

    ReplyDelete