Thursday 6 February 2014

Story of My Life; The Best Advice I Ever Got


Two weeks ago, a teacher at school asked us to talk about the best tutor we've ever had and why the person is the best. Everybody in class did just that but my thoughts didn't end there. I thought about the best things in my life and finally realised the best advice I ever got.

It all started from long ago. My growing up was fun, I had the best parents and friends (I still do), but just like life isn't perfect, mine wasn't: I had a medical condition. We didn't know about this condition till my teens. It was physical and you will never know unless I showed you. I grew up in pains, my parents were in pains as well watching me suffer and not being able to help. They took me to every hospital they could and while some doctors told them I would outgrow it, others told them they had the solution but I became a guinea pig for their experiments. As young as I was, I stopped going for treatments and my parents wanted to know why. I didn't know the answer but I felt the doctors were just trying their luck with me.

Fast forward to some years after that, I was out of the University and went for my National Youth Service. I collapsed after a day at work, I was in pains again, I checked myself into a hospital because I was already earning some money, but it was still the same thing. Doctors were about to play chess with my condition again. I moved from State to State looking for the best hospital to help me out, they all claimed they could but one month into a treatment I became worse and was almost losing my ability to walk at a point. One of the worst experiences was watching four doctors argue about the best line of treatment for me (The health system in my country is nothing to write home about). I stopped going to the hospital again and started managing myself. Two years after that incident, I was in unbearable pain and went to another State for treatment (by now I had gone to 8 different States in search of a solution). The doctor referred me to another hospital in a State close to my State and I called to book an appointment. The doctor-in-charge told me to come on a certain day and that her assistant would assess my files before she got there.

I met the young doctor, Peter. I gave him my files and he asked a number of questions. After the assessment he said to me, "I'm going to speak to you as a Christian. Your condition is something we only read in books. You are the first person I've ever seen with this in all my years as a doctor and I'm sure it's the same with all the other doctors you've been seeing since your teens. Please permit me to bring my students over to see what it looks like to have this condition" (it was a teaching hospital). It was a tough request but I obliged him. The students came poking, prodding and asking questions, I wept silently but I could not help it. The doctor thanked me after they had left and continued, "you are over 20 years, your bones are set and there is nothing we can do about this". I asked how I was going to live with the pains, I also pointed out other fears I had and he said, "you've managed it this long, you can manage it longer with the right mindset". He went on to suggest that even if I had the opportunity to travel abroad, I should not settle for a surgery to avoid being a statistic. He further added, "my boss is going to tell you we can handle it, but trust me we cannot. Go home and try to push it off your chest, you'll notice you can handle it better". Well the doctor-in-charge came and he told her his findings and even added that there was nothing they could do about it. She refused and fixed an appointment for my first round of treatment. I left and never went back (as usual).

I got home very sad. I've always prayed about this condition but after this last visit to the doctors, I was ready for more intense prayers. I embarked on series of prayers and novenas, I asked God for a miracle. I wanted my condition gone forever. I also tried putting my mind off it, to enable me forget the pains I've always had. My parents joined me in the prayers but nothing changed. One fateful day, I called my dear friend Kayla, I asked her to join me in prayers as well (my friends knew about my condition and have seen me in pains a number of times), I told her I needed the condition out of my life. Her answer cum advice was short but straight to the point, she said, "Do not ask God to take it away, ask him to give you the grace to bear it".

That was exactly what I did and that advice has helped me since then. My pains are still there but I've achieved things I never thought I would with such pains. I see God's love and faithfulness in that condition and I am glad knowing he is always there for me. Dear Kayla, this is to let you know that it may have taken me years to realise this, but thank you for giving me the best advice I ever got. It has really helped me in my life's journey. God bless you.

One Love,
Lae'

6 comments:

  1. Awwww. That piece of advice sure helps. Kudos to mum who first shared it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a nice one and a good advice a friend could ever give. But won't it be preferable if we ask God to take our pains away instead of telling him to give us the Grace to bear it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pains and temptations MUST come of which we can not hold back but his grace for us to bear and overcome, is all that matters @ Jenny. We'll always ask for his grace because it's sufficient for us. I love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another inspirational Post. Your friend Kayla has sure got a good head on her shoulders. Sometimes the best form of prayer might just be those words by your friend cos completely taking the pains away sounds like 'magic' but grace to endure and bear the pains puts our faith in God to the test. Lae',I really admire your positive outlook to life. God bless U always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks y'all for visiting. Serving God isn't all smooth after all his only son suffered and died on the cross for us. We just need his grace to see us thru life's trials & temptations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. but why did i cry? im such a sap. lol. The grace to bear our cross. Thank you Lae. im inspired now. The Lord is good.

    ReplyDelete